Branford Coalition to Prevent Underage Drinking
The mission of the Branford Coalition is to prevent underage drinking and reduce underage drinking through education and law enforcement, and to, promote successful, safe and substance free kids.
Did You Know?
Underage drinking is a problem among the youth in the Branford Community.
- Community survey indicated that 85% of those polled believe that underage drinking is a problem in Branford.
- Youth who start drinking before the age of 15 are 4 times as likely to be alcohol dependent by adulthood.
- Alcohol kills more young people than all other illicit drugs combined.
- The average age for a youth to start drinking in Connecticut is 11 years old.
- In Connecticut, it is illegal to host a party* where alcohol is consumed by minors.
- Anyone under 21 is prohibited from possessing alcohol on public or private property.
- 30% of Connecticut's young people get alcohol from home with their parents' permission.
- 77% of Connecticut's high school students obtain alcohol at home with or without their parents' permission.
- Individuals who knowingly permit minors to possess and/or consume alcohol may be fined, imprisoned or both.
* For more information about Connecticut's House Party Law, visit HousePartyBill.org
What, Why, and How?
What Is The Branford Coalition?
The Branford Coalition to Prevent Underage Drinking is a federally funded organization that is working to prevent underage drinking in Branford.
Coalition members include representatives from:
- Branford Counseling Center
- Branford Police Department
- Local Government
- Branford Recreation Department
- Faith-based Groups
- Local Schools
- Local Business Owners
- MADD CT
- Parents, Youths and Other Concerned Citizens
What Does The Branford Coalition Do?
The Coalition sponsors events for youth and families, supports the enforcement of the minimum drinking age, and provides informational materials related to the prevention of underage drinking.
Why Is There A Branford Coalition?
Underage drinking has been identified as a significant problem in Branford. Minors are obtaining and consuming alcohol, which can result in risky behaviors. The Coalition is providing the tools to help prevent these behaviors from occurring.
How Do I Learn More?
Information for Parents
Coalition's Facebook Page