Print this Page
  • Text Size
  • A
  • A
  • A

Application Process

Do I need an Inland Wetlands & Watercourses Permit?

If proposed activity may impact inland wetlands or watercourses in the Town of Branford, then you must obtain an Inland Wetlands and Watercourses permit granting permission to conduct such activity. 

More information:

Protection of Inland Wetlands - Why & How

Branford Inland Wetland and Watercourse Regulations

Contact the Inland Wetland office

The Process

Applications must be submitted to Inland Wetlands the same day or before they are submitted to Planning & Zoning or the Building Department.

Applications typically need to be reviewed and acted upon by the Inland Wetlands Commission. Applications that must go before the Commission will be received at the next regularly scheduled meeting, this meeting is known as the receipt date. Lawfully the Commission cannot make a decision on an application until 14 days after the receipt date. This means that it will take at least two meetings for the Commission to make a decision on an application.

An application for a permit for which the activity will have a no greater than minimal impact to wetlands or watercourses (as determined by the Agency) may be approved administratively by the Duly Authorized Agent. 

For more information contact the Inland Wetland office.

Materials for applying for an Inland Wetlands Permit

Contact Information

Inland Wetlands
Branford Town Hall
1019 Main Street,
Branford CT 06405

Phone: (203) 315-0675
Fax: (203) 889-3172 
Director: Diana Ross
Hours of Operation: 8:00-4:30 M-F

IW Permit Applications

Materials for Permit Application

Application Process

Wetland Reference

Protection of Our Inland Wetlands: 
    - Part 1 - regulation 
    - Part 2 - practices

Wetland Laws & Regulations


FAQs (coming soon)

Natural Resources

Plants & Landscaping


Town of Branford GIS

External Links


Town Hall Address: 1019 Main Street, Branford, CT 06405 Phone: (203) 488-8394 Business Hours: 8:30 am - 4:30 pm, Monday-Friday