You are here

Armed Forces Discharges-Veterans Tax Exemption

An exemption is the reduction of the assessed value of the property for tax purposes. It is not a reduction in taxes. Veterans who have 90 days of wartime service are eligible for an exemption for property tax purposes (i.e. real property OR automobile.) If the eligible veteran does not own real property or a motor vehicle, there may be a tax refund available if leasing a motor vehicle. Surviving spouses of veterans may also be eligible for this benefit. Contact the Tax Assessor's Office at (203) 488-2039 for specific tax exemption details. (CGS Sec. 12-16, CGS Sec. 12-18g)

Any person who claims an exemption from the local property tax by reason of military service must give notice to the Town Clerk. The notice may be an honorable discharge, a certified copy of an honorable discharge or a statement sent annually to the Town Clerk by the commanding officer indicating that the person is still serving in the military and is unable to appear in person to file the discharge by reason of such service.

An original or certified copy of a DD214 form must be filed by October 1st to entitle the veteran to an exemption on taxes due the following July.

Discharges become permanent records of the Town, and are considered confidential records. There is no charge for recording Armed Services Discharges, and we are most grateful and appreciative for your military service.

Copies of DD214 Form
Duplicate copies of a DD214 form can be obtained by completing the "Standard Form 180 (SF 180) Request Pertaining to Military Records" and then forwarding it to:
National Personnel Records Center
Military Personnel Records
9700 Page Boulevard
St. Louis, MO 63132-5100

This form may be obtained by calling 800-827-1000 or by visiting the National personnel Records Center website

Additional Veteran resources may be found by visiting the Connecticut State Department of Veterans Affairs at
Take a Vet Fishing
1-866-9CT.VETS (1-866-928-8387)
Connecticut Veterans Registry/Discharge Database (DD214's) are available on a limited basis (prior to 1950) by calling 860-616-3684
Military Support Program/Crisis Intervention (free and confidential counseling for military and their families) 1-866-251-2913

Last Updated: Wed, 07/28/2021 - 1:55pm